Grants Bail to Six Remaining Accused in Ganga Iftar Case
The has granted bail to the final six individuals accused in the contentious Ganga boat iftar incident, bringing closure to the phase for all fourteen Muslim youths charged in the matter. While acknowledging that disposal of non-vegetarian food waste into the sacred river could offend Hindu religious sentiments, the court prioritized standard bail considerations including , prolonged custody since March 2026, and sincere expressions of regret by the accused and their families. This measured approach underscores the judiciary’s role in safeguarding both communal sensitivities and individual liberties under the new criminal law framework.
Background of the Incident and FIR
On , a group of young men belonging to the Muslim community organized a Roza iftar gathering on a boat sailing along the Ganga River opposite the historic Bindu Madhav temple area in Varanasi. Videos of the event quickly went viral on social media, showing the participants breaking their fast with chicken biryani and allegedly discarding food remnants and bones directly into the river.
A formal complaint was lodged the following day by Rajat Jaiswal, the city unit president of the . The FIR specifically alleged that the accused consumed non-vegetarian food in front of what was referred to as the Alamgir Mosque in the background while committing an act that defiled the holy river. Police registered the case on , and arrested all fourteen accused the next day.
Initial charges were framed under several provisions of the , including , , , , , and . Authorities also invoked . Subsequently, was added amid allegations that the youths had forcibly occupied the boat, attracting up to ten years’ imprisonment. Charges under were also introduced concerning the uploading of the video.
Sessions Court and Initial High Court Proceedings
On , the rejected bail applications, observing that the accused appeared to have intended to disturb social harmony. The matter then reached the . On , two separate benches granted bail to eight of the accused. Justice Rajiv Lochan Shukla dealt with five applicants, while Justice Jitendra Kumar Sinha granted relief to the remaining three.
The court noted that the applicants had remained in since , had no criminal antecedents, and had filed affidavits expressing deep remorse. They further undertook never to repeat such acts. On May 18, Justice Shukla extended identical relief to the six remaining accused, emphasizing parity with the earlier bail orders.
Key Judicial Observations
Justice Shukla delivered a carefully worded order that distinguished between a assessment of the alleged act’s impact and the narrower question of bail eligibility. In a significant passage, the court observed:
“During the said Iftar party, while partaking of food, non-vegetarian food is said to have been consumed by the members of the Muslim community, who are then alleged to have thrown the remains into the River Ganges. This fact in the dispassionate opinion of the Court could rightly be said to hurt religious sentiments of the Hindu community.”
The bench was equally explicit about the limits of its inquiry at the bail stage:
“However, the issue presently before the court is limited to whether the applicants are entitled to be released on bail during the pendency of the investigation and trial. In the opinion of the court, the ongoing investigation would not be impeded, and can continue unhindered even if the applicants are released from custody.”
Justice Shukla recorded that the applicants were “apologetic for their actions and even their families also regret the pain that had been caused to the society at large.” Taking a holistic view, the court concluded that a case for bail was made out on account of , the period of detention already undergone, and the genuine remorse demonstrated through supporting affidavits.
Legal Analysis: Balancing Sentiments and Liberty
The orders reflect a sophisticated application of in cases involving and under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita. Unlike the repealed provisions, the new BNS consolidates offences relating to religious harmony and public nuisance while prescribing graded punishments. The High Court’s refusal to treat the addition of Section 308 as an automatic bar to bail is instructive. The court expressed skepticism about the delayed extortion allegations made by the boat owner, noting that no such complaint had surfaced before the FIR was registered.
The judgment also engages with broader concerns about social media amplification. While agreeing with the Additional Advocate General that platforms can fuel disinformation and communal tension, the court declined to deny bail solely on that ground when other mitigating factors were present. This suggests that future litigants must demonstrate tangible evidence of tampering or repeat offending rather than rely on generalized fears of social media misuse.
Impact on Legal Practice and the Justice System
For criminal law practitioners, these orders serve as valuable precedent on presenting remorse evidence at the bail stage without requiring formal admission of guilt. Defense counsel successfully relied on family affidavits and undertakings to demonstrate reformative intent—an approach likely to be replicated in similar matters. Prosecutors, meanwhile, may now focus on stricter conditions such as restrictions on social media activity or community service in comparable cases.
From a systemic perspective, the rulings illustrate how courts are calibrating bail decisions in cases blending environmental pollution, religious sentiment, and under the new penal regime. The emphasis on parity among co-accused and the limited scope of inquiry at the bail stage provides clarity for lower courts confronted with politically sensitive FIRs. The ’s acknowledgment of the Ganga’s national significance, while still granting bail, demonstrates judicial maturity in navigating competing constitutional values.
Conclusion
The ’s decision to grant bail to all fourteen accused in the Ganga iftar matter marks an important moment in the evolution of post the introduction of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita. By recognizing the potential for hurt sentiments without allowing such recognition to override settled principles of , the court has charted a pragmatic middle path. Legal professionals would do well to study these orders closely for guidance on drafting bail applications and crafting conditions that address both harmony concerns and individual liberty in an increasingly polarized social media environment.