Prajwal Revanna Rape Trial Witness Alleges Death Threats; Special Court Orders Probe and Protection
A key in the ongoing rape trial against former Hassan MP Prajwal Revanna has informed a special court in Bengaluru that she received threatening phone calls following her , prompting the court to order an investigation by the ) and provide to the witness and her son. The development underscores growing concerns over witness safety in high-profile criminal cases and marks a significant turn in the proceedings against the disgraced former lawmaker, who was convicted and sentenced to in a related case last year.
The 43-year-old social worker from Hassan district, who was examined as -4 on , raised the issue during her on . She told the court that after her was completed, she began receiving calls threatening to kill her and send her to prison. Expressing fear for her life and that of her son, she stated that if any harm came to them, the accused, Prajwal Revanna, should be held responsible. The took her statement seriously and directed the Additional Director General of Police (ADGP) heading the to conduct a thorough inquiry and submit a report by the . Additionally, the court instructed the to provide necessary protection to the witness in accordance with the law.
Witness Alleges Death Threats
During the on Thursday, the woman detailed the nature of the threats. According to court records, she said that the calls began shortly after her July and continued intermittently. She expressed a direct apprehension that the accused or persons acting on his behalf were behind the intimidation. “She further said that if anything were to happen to her son or herself, the accused - Prajwal Revanna - would be responsible,” noted the court in its communication to the chief. This claim prompted the judge to observe that the accused are fully responsible and liable for any danger to the witness or her son, even after the conclusion of the testimony.
The court’s order explicitly mentions that the must investigate the source of the calls and take appropriate legal action. The judge also directed that a copy of the direction be forwarded to the Additional Director General of Police () for coordination, ensuring a multi-agency approach to the probe. The witness has been provided with a police escort and until further orders.
Background of the Case
Prajwal Revanna, the grandson of former Prime Minister HD Deve Gowda and son of sitting Holenarasipura MLA HD Revanna, represented the Hassan constituency in the Lok Sabha from 2019 to 2024. He faced multiple allegations of rape and sexual abuse, which came to light in when videos allegedly showing him assaulting women surfaced during the Lok Sabha election campaign. He fled to Germany shortly after the allegations became public but was arrested on , upon his return to India. He lost his re-election bid.
In , the special court convicted Prajwal Revanna in the first of four rape and sexual abuse cases against him and sentenced him to “for the remainder of his natural life” – a term that effectively means he will remain in prison for life. The case in which the witness has now reported threats is a separate trial proceeding. Revanna has been in since his arrest and is currently lodged at in Bengaluru.
The trial against him on the remaining charges is being conducted through a . The case was registered at the and is at an advanced stage, with several prosecution witnesses yet to be cross-examined.
Recent Prison Incident Adds to Concerns
Notably, the threat allegations come just days after the ) conducted a raid at on , and reportedly recovered a mobile phone, charger, pen drive, and scribbling pad from Prajwal Revanna's cell in the high-security barrack. The discovery raised serious questions about prison security and the possibility that Revanna may have been communicating with the outside world while in custody. Though the is investigating that matter separately, the timing of the witness’s threat calls has led to speculation of a possible nexus between the two incidents. The special court, however, did not explicitly link the two in its order.
Legal Implications for Witness Safety
Legal experts have welcomed the court’s proactive approach. The order reinforces the principle that witnesses in criminal trials, especially those involving powerful accused persons, must be protected from intimidation. “ is a cornerstone of under . Courts have consistently held that threats to witnesses undermine the integrity of the judicial process,” said a senior criminal lawyer who requested anonymity.
The directive to the to investigate the threat calls and provide immediate security is in line with the , which mandates that and protection measures be implemented for vulnerable witnesses. The court has also kept a tight timeline for the probe, ordering a report before the next date of hearing, which is expected to be scheduled within a fortnight.
If the investigation confirms that the threats originated from the accused or his associates, it could lead to additional , including and . Such charges carry significant penalties and could further strengthen the prosecution’s case in the ongoing trial. Moreover, the incident may prompt the court to reconsider the accused’s or impose stricter conditions on his .
Impact on
The witness’s allegations and the court’s order are likely to cause some delay in the trial, as the probe will take time to complete. However, the court appears determined to proceed without compromising the witness’s safety. The judge has made it clear that the accused will be held liable for any harm to the witness or her family, signaling that any further attempts at intimidation will be viewed with utmost seriousness.
For the prosecution, the incident underscores the challenges of securing testimony in politically sensitive cases. The social worker’s bravery in coming forward despite threats is commendable, and the court’s swift action may encourage other witnesses to speak without fear. Conversely, the case also highlights the risks that witnesses face, especially in cases involving allegations of sexual violence against powerful individuals.
Conclusion
The special court’s decisive intervention in the Prajwal Revanna rape trial sends a strong message that will not be tolerated. By ordering a and immediate , the court has taken essential steps to uphold the . As the investigates the source of the threat calls, the legal community watches closely, aware that the outcome could set an important precedent for in high-profile criminal cases. The will likely reveal the of the probe and determine the next phase of the trial against the former MP.